I want to wish you all a Happy New Year and share this tradition that I created to help welcome in the New Year and bid the old one a fond farewell. Friends who previously done this have loved it. I hope you like it too.
Julie's New Year's Penny Toss
1. Before New Year's Eve, find a new penny of that year, one for each person participating. (So for this year you would get a 2014 penny. Nickels, dimes and quarters were also minted this year, so if you're feeling rich go ahead an use one.)
2. On New Year's Eve, the following is done as the last thing before going to bed, regardless of the time (10 PM or 2 AM), although it can be done at midnight. : )
3. Open a door to the outside, back or front or side (it doesn't matter).
4. Place the penny on your thumb and give it a good flick, flinging the penny outside.
As you fling the penny outside say "Good bye 2014!"
5. Now with your arm outstretched from flinging the penny, open your palm, and swing your arm in an upward arc towards your head and welcome in the New Year by saying "And hello 2015!"
6. NOW it's bedtime.
7. Later, if you happen across the penny, leave it where it is. That was last year and you can't go back. Usually you won't find it anyway, especially if you have snow, but don't go looking for it.
8. Feel free to share this with others, just please give credit where credit is due, which is that I created this tradition in 1996.
And I'd love to hear your Penny Toss story. Email me your story at Julie at JulieMCovert.com.
If you're on Facebook you can join the
Have a happy and healthy and prosperous New Year.
© 2010 - 2015 Julie McKay Covert Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from Julie Covert is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to JulieMCovert.com with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.